LENT: A Time to Prepare for a Much Better World

The preacher at the Ash Wednesday Mass spoke about the necessity for us to prepare and learn. He said that in order to prepare for a life in the secular world, we need to learn how to read, write and count. On the other hand, in order to prepare for our life in the eternal world, we need to pray, give (alms) and be reconciled (to have peace). A pretty simple lesson. And we hear this every year. The most difficult part is how to practise what we hear and learn.

On my way to church, I saw a number of people briskly walking along the park, but towards the direction of the church. I tried to guess that these people were going to church. They were coming from the left side of the park, from the right side and from the front. But, as this is the centre of town, I thought, well, you must be dreaming. People nowadays do not walk fast just to make it on time for a church service. So, I tried to figure out those brisk-walking people: a young professional looking guy in his crisp black suit, a middle-aged guy in his simple plain collared shirt just a few steps ahead of me, a lady with gray hair in her hush puppy sandals, a slim looking youth with her shoulder bag across her body, ladies in maroon uniform and a few more well dressed and well-heeled men and women.

Well, after hearing recently from another preacher that according to a survey, the most secularised country in the world currently is Australia, followed by New Zealand and France, I did not believe that I would see something like this in the middle of Sydney. (Well, it happened during World Youth Day, but that’s a different story). So I walked fast, buoyed by the idea that I am not alone, that other people working in the city also would like to go to church.

Lo, and behold! All of those people I suspected were going to church, but did not believe it because of what they were wearing, actually went straight to church. They were even patient waiting at the door because people inside were still trying to find a seat. When I got my seat, I was very touched to see the cathedral actually full! I even suspected initially that the famous Cardinal would be saying the Mass that is why they are all here! When the priest came out, he was a short Asian guy. But the people did not leave! They were there to attend celebrations for Ash Wednesday. Wow! What an experience!

This may sound very naïve, but I witnessed people who I think were really serious about preparing for the eternal world. They were there to pray, to listen, and to be in touch with their God. They were there to continue learning how to prepare. They were there to be reminded that even if business around the world, in the secular world, is not going very well, we can still look forward to a much better world, the eternal world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas: Is it really for children?

Abundant Life of a Christian Birthday Celebrant

LENT: Time to Deepen Faith