Prayer: For Friends and Enemies




During this first week of Lent, I am still looking at my relationships with people around me.
A few days ago I had a very strong desire to send a note of gratitude (on Facebook!) to a very good friend of mine, a priest overseas, for all that he has done for me since I was a teenager.  He was gracious in accepting the message but also sincerely shared with me his current difficulties. I immediately called him, listened to his story and gave him my two cents worth of advice.

It is always a joy to be trusted by a friend with his inner struggles.  I promised to pray for him.  That same night, I prayed for him with my family. The following night, I prayed for him with my household/cell group at our prayer meeting. This weekend, I will pray for him at Mass. 

It is so easy to pray for people we care about, those we love, those we like and those whom we know love and respect us.  

On the other hand, there is someone I used to do projects with. However, one day, she just gave me a tirade of accusations, thinking I made all those decisions she thought were wrong.  I did not even get the chance to tell her who actually made those decisions. She just kept on and on.

When she was given a responsibility to lead or the opportunity to change the things she believes are not right, she declined. Not once but several times.  She seemed to see only the wrong things, but did not want to lift a finger to change the situation.  I am not even sure what she told people around her because I noticed that some people she mingled around with have changed the way they dealt with me.

I still greet her when I see her but I am not ready yet to spend time relaxing with her.  I have decided long ago that I will not waste a lot of time with negative people.  Obviously, with all the things that she has done, it is not very easy for me to like her. 
But, for the next few days, I will pray for her and her family. 

In Matthew 5:43-48, Jesus calls us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Today, He is calling me to pray for those I do not get along well with and those who have hurt me.  These include previous bosses and staff, fellow parishioners and fellow members of a community.

Only by loving and praying for them that I am able to respond to the call to become perfect, just as the heavenly Father is perfect. 

With you in prayers,

Ros

   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LENT: Time to Deepen Faith

Christmas: Is it really for children?

Abundant Life of a Christian Birthday Celebrant